Monday, April 16, 2012

Jesus Calls Us To REST - Revelations from Chinese Characters

A note by Chin San Soh in his Facebook.

Do you experience a constant busyness? Are you constantly stressed and worried about tomorrow? Do you enter into seasons of fatigue? Find out what true rest is, and why REST and not more effort or work is the solution to many of your troubles. Why do we make ourselves so busy? Why do we labor so hard we're so tired that we cannot enjoy the fruits of life?

Life, for some of us, have become so stretched that we sometimes forget Jesus has called us to rest. I was just thinking of this the other day, and suddenly something arose to study the etyomology of the words "Rest", and "Busy". Let's look at the word "busy" first. The word "busy" in Chinese is "忙". The left "忄" denotes the "heart". While the right "亡" denotes "death". And that's exactly what busyness, the lack of rest, and stress do to us. It chokes up our hearts. It is no wonder that the lack of rest, and stress is medically proven to get blood pressures up, affect the way the blood clots, and lead to all kinds of death threatening diseases. Are you busy and stressed?

The answer is found in REST! And let's take a look at Rest in the Chinese Characters. Rest constitutes of 2 words. "休" and "息". Pastor Mark has also preached this before. The etymology of "休" is a picture of a man "亻" resting on a tree "木". A man resting on a tree! To truly enter rest, we lean on the cross! And the cross signifies the finished work of Jesus! He has completed the work and declared "It is finished!" We lean on the finished work of Jesus! The finished work of the cross! The finished work of the cross means your sins are forgiven, your disease is already healed, your restoration is already complete, your problem is already solved, your victory is already secured, your future is already blessed. We don't see it yet, but in Jesus' world (who lives outside of the realm of time), it is FINISHED as far as He is concerned.

"息" is made up of 2 parts - "自" (which in present day signifies "self" but actually the original meaning is "nose") and 心 (heart). It literally means "to breathe life through one's nose." Together, REST ""休 息" literally means - "To lean on the finished work of Jesus, allowing Him to breathe life into us." HALLELUJAH!!!!!!

Jesus is very very clear on us to rest. And when He said "rest", it does not only mean constitute physical rest. It constitutes all sorts of rest - emotional rest, mental rest (not worrying). We all have experienced how stress and worry can void all the physical rest we try to get. And by no means does it mean laziness. Have you ever experienced having a very quality rest, in your body, mind, soul, being in the peace of Jesus, and then coming back with more life, more wisdom, more strength to complete your task? This is the power of rest! It's supernatural because God has called us to rest!

Stop thinking about the 7 habits of highly effective people and putting pressure on yourself to lead the "optimal life" to achieve "high quality results". A drop of heaven's favor is more effective than 10 years of self effort! We need rest and we are called to rest! Let's see what the Bible says about living a restful, stress free, worry free life.

Jesus said: "For your heavenly Father knows that you need all these things. But seek first the kingdom of God and His righteousness, and all these things shall be added to you. Therefore do not worry about tomorrow, for tomorrow will worry about its own things. Sufficient for the day is its own trouble." - Matthew 6:32-34

And He also says "Come to Me, all you who labor and are heavy laden, and I will give you rest. Take My yoke upon you and learn from Me, for I am gentle and lowly in heart, and you will find rest for your souls. For My yoke is easy and My burden is light." - Matthew 11:28

"Be still, and know that I am God" - Psalm 46:10

"For he who has entered His rest has himself also ceased from his works as God did from His. Let us therefore be diligent to enter that rest, lest anyone fall according to the same example of disobedience."

Jesus has called us to rest. Jesus is the TRUE REST. For some of us who just can't rest, just say this "Lord Jesus, you've called us to rest. You desire for me to have life, and life more abundantly. You lead me to green pastures, and still waters. You say "Be still and know that I am God." All my worries and my cares, I cast them upon You. You have finished the work. You have gone ahead and called my future blessed. My worry and fear cripples me and drains me out. But Your perfect love casts out all fear! I find my rest in You. You lead me to rest, and I can restfully sleep, spend time with my children, my parents, my spouse without a worry for tomorrow. In Jesus' name, Amen!"

My final statement is going to sound controversial to many people, but I know it to be true. Many Christians and non Christians alike like to use this phrase "Just do your best, and God will do the rest." Whenever someone says this, everyone will nod away. But let me share truthfully, this phrase is never found in the Bible. This phrase originated from Benjamin Franklin. While good intentioned, it does not lead our minds to true rest. If interpreted wrongly, we're essentially telling God "We put in our 100% (even if it is mixed with self effort), You just top up whatever is lacking." But God wants us to be conscious of the fact that from the beginning, Jesus has already supplied all the strength, all the wisdom, all the power for us to complete our task with excellence. He wants none of our flesh and self effort. He wants our 0% self effort, 100% trust in Him, and He will supply all that we need to get supernatural results. So, if I can rephrase it through the lenses of the finished work of Jesus, we are called to "JUST DO YOUR REST, GOD WILL DO THE REST."

On a final note, I give glory to Jesus on the times that people have credited that I delivered excellent results. And I really need to testify - everytime I am stressed and worried and act out of fear - my best self efforts lead to sub optimal results. But when I rest, put my trust in Him, and let Him work through me - the results are supernaturally good.Amen and all glory to Jesus! Beloved if you know you have not been resting - REST!

No comments:

Post a Comment